Welcome to the World of Aspie Mum

A mild-mannered copywriter by day, in my evenings I transform into amazing Aspie Mum.

Read on for tales of my DS (the 'Monkey') and plenty of Asperger Syndrome/ ASD news, link and more!

Wednesday 21 March 2007

Our family


Being an only child has at times left Monkey begging for a sibling. Perhaps it's what he sees in his acquaintances as 'normal' or the desire for a full-time playmate, but he wants one. Being on my own for nearly five years has meant that the opportunity for another hasn't arisen.

I understand his desire for companionship - we all have it in us, whether we're Aspie or not. I try to allow kids to freely run in and out of our house at every opportunity, but must confess that, at times, it's just TOO much.

While we have 3 cats and a 10-month-old pup who he considers his family, I'm aware that they can only fulfil his need for companionship so much.

The other morning my young, mad scientist hopped under the duvet with me for an early morning chat.

"Mummy?"

"Hmm?" I mumbled drowsily.

"I'd really like a baby brother you know."

"Well, I'm not ruling that one out, but it's a touch unlikely. Anyway, if I had a baby today, it wouldn't be able to properly play with you for at least a few years - by that point, you'll be wanting older friends," I sleepily argued.

While he remained silent for a minute, I swear I could hear the cogs spinning in his head.

"Isn't it 7 human years to every cat year?"

"Yes," I was puzzled now and far too awake for my own good.

"What if you and Didgy (our cat) made a baby?"

"Wha?"
"It would be so cute. It would Didgy's head and and a human's body and in just twelve months it would be as old as me."

"Erm, genetically it's fairly impossible for the species to cross."


"Well, what about the Liger? Even you said they were cute. A Cuman would be just as cute."

Oh dear.... My mind is still racing with images of cats heads attached to human's bodies with a mad scientist who looks quite Monkey-like smiling proudly at his offspring.

Until his cuman is developed, preferably without my genetic code - groups like Paws 4 Thought are training Autism Assistance Dogs who are helping children on the spectrum develop and grow.

1 comment:

Mervyn said...

hi Karen

thanks for sharing all your thoughts it really helped me understand more about your life etc.
I am really impressed and would love to meet monkey someday.
Merv xx