Welcome to the World of Aspie Mum

A mild-mannered copywriter by day, in my evenings I transform into amazing Aspie Mum.

Read on for tales of my DS (the 'Monkey') and plenty of Asperger Syndrome/ ASD news, link and more!

Monday 16 April 2007

Fear and Loathing in Cornwall

We attempted a Scooby Doo dvd and it ended the same way it always does...in tears and nightmares. What is it about Scooby Doo that scares the Monkey so?

As with many kids, Monkey has his obsessions - his just go a bit further than others. As a toddler, it was cars - only hot wheels for play and out on the street, he could ID any car which came our way. He taught me more about cars than I'd honestly ever care to know - acceleration, brake horsepower, mpg - well, the lot.

Determined to broaden his horizons, I recently got Sky...yes, I hear you groan, it is a virtual babysitter, but my hope was that by watching cartoons it would give him the ability to communicate with his peers. Up until last year, all he ever watched was monster truck dvds or the now infamous 'Smashed' video which involved car collisions.

With Sky, I have seen a new obsession emerge - tv watching. Fairly Oddparents and Spongebob are constantly on my TV! However, this goes beyond TV to the books, video games and magazines dedicated to these seemingly innocent characters.

He's asked me for a room done out like Bikini Bottom, can quote whole episodes of Spongebob and wants to be a sponge when he grows up...at least he giggles when he says the last bit which says to me that it's doing him some good - laughter's the best medicine every time!

No comments: