Welcome to the World of Aspie Mum

A mild-mannered copywriter by day, in my evenings I transform into amazing Aspie Mum.

Read on for tales of my DS (the 'Monkey') and plenty of Asperger Syndrome/ ASD news, link and more!

Wednesday 28 March 2007

Never Work With Children or Animals

Yesterday, Monkey, pooch Barney and I spent our afternoon attempting to have our photos taken for a local magazine. In Februrary, I wrote an article and the editor rang me last week to arrange for us to meet a photographer in a local park.
While I was nervous about this concept, the pooch merely drooled in preparation and Monkey, well he bounced off the walls with excitement. Before heading down, I prepped Barney with a good brushing and clothed my monkey - reminding him as any mother would to 'stay clean'.
It all started going a bit wrong as the door slammed shut behind me. At 10 months old, Barney is currently in those difficult puberty years - just the scent of a female is enough to send him flying and my shoulder into dislocation! As we walked, we struggled as he soon knew he was going to the park - his local 'meat market' which features his favourite watering hole. Monkey struggled as well for he didn't want to wear a jacket as 'its spring'.
We got to the meeting spot 5 minutes early and were greeted by a message on my phone that the photographer was running 15 minutes late. As we waited, I attempted to calm the troops...and failed!
The photographer turned up twenty minutes late with a series of shots in mind. He was very kind and seemed understanding...although I think his patience as well as mine was tested in the events that followed!
Shot 1: The first one required me to be hands-free of dog and Monkey. I carefully tied Barney to a tree so I could pose...however, at 8stone, his collar couldn't take the strain and snapped!
Shot 2: Dog running. Now, my dog likes to think of himself as a weekend rugby player when Monkey is involved. The first run of this shot went well with the pair of them running up a field and back towards the photographer. Unfortunately, the second run-through involved Barney rugby tackling Monkey! Not good!
Shot 3: Family walking together. This one went remarkably well...however, I really am unsure if Monkey managed to look happy in the shot! Oooops!
Shot 4: A shot was needed of us walking in the distance...and we had to be high up in relation to the photog - which meant loads of walking! A freezing cold Monkey now had sore feet as well!
The rest of the shots were of Barney...who loved the camera.
While it was a learning experience, I'm not sure whether or not Monkey or I will be volunteering to be photographed for a mag again. On our walk home last night, all I heard was how Monkey didn't want to be 'famous' and wanted me to say 'no' to anyone offering us this chance again...
At least he's had his 15 minutes early on - saves me from having to worry about whether he'll be wanting to audition for Big Brother as an unruly young adult! Yes, I couldn't cope with that!

No comments: